Excerpted from The SHRM Blog by Dan Rockwell
You’re not as interesting as you think.
If you’re long-winded, the people around you wish you were short-winded.
Talk less. Succeed more.
5 Reasons people talk too much:
1. Thinking. Extroverts think while they talk. (If you want your team to think, make space for them to talk.)
2. Silence drives you crazy. It only takes 4 seconds for silence to feel awkward.
3. You have power or position.
5. To convince people you’re right.
7 Dangers of talking too much:
1. Lost credibility. You earn respect with your ears and lose it with your mouth.
2. Frustrating others.
3. Diluting your message.
4. Distracting people from priorities.
5. Confusing people.
6. Disengagement. A talkative leader complains that others don’t contribute.
7. Demotivation. The weight of too many words sucks the life out of your team.
For entire article click here